PREPARING NATURAL HAIR FOR PROTECTIVE STYLING

Thursday, January 02, 2020

Happy new year you guys!!!!
Hopefully y'all are staying hydrated and keeping your hair moisturized😅.
so some of you asked me on facebook how i prep my hair for protective styling so i figured i should just do a post about it n so here it is😃.
To prepare my natural hair for protective styling, i follow the following steps;

PREPOOING
Depending on the state of my hair, i might prepoo or i might not. And if i decided to prepoo,my product of choice is almost always coconut oil as its composition allows it to penetrate the hair strands and moisturize it which in turn prevents breakage and split ends. It also helps promote scalp health and prevent dandruff.


CLEANSING
I always try to do a thorough cleanse before protective-styling or else i end up unplaiting due to the itching that comes with product buildup.so i usually shampoo with a cleansing shampoo or i will do a clay wash with bentonite clay.

DEEP CONDITIONING
Never skip this step as it is responsible for keeping hair healthy by preventing dryness and damage. Prior to protective styling, my deep conditioner of choice is usually a protein one unless otherwise. I tend to use a protein product because it helps with strengthening the hair so that it does not break when braiding or doing cornrows.

DETANGLING
This is the most important step and it needs to be extremely thorough or you will be involved in a serious game of tug of war with your stylist lol. I usually finger detangle then follow it up with a wide toothed comb from ends to root in small sections.

BLOW DRYING
yes you heard right lol.
i do use heat here n there nowadays.
But if you are on a heat free journey, u can simply do African threading to stretch it.
so to blow dry,i unravel a single twist,apply leave in conditioner then apply a pea size amount of grapeseed oil as a heat protectant. Then i proceed to blow dry that section on low heat using the tension method and twist it away. I do the same for the rest of my hair.
when the entire head is done,i proceed to getting a protective style done.
When the styling is done, i apply oil to my scalp.

TIPS
1. when it comes to protective styling, i usually get a stylist to come do it from my house.That way, i can easily give instructions without intimidation.
2. Always instruct your stylist to leave out your edges. Trust me the last thing you want is a self inflicted receding hairline lol, it ain't cute.
3. Do not do your hair style too tight least you lose your beautiful strands to traction alopecia.
4. Heavy hair styles are a no no. again, traction alopecia guys👆.

So thats it guys😊.
If you found this post helpful kindly let me know in the comments below.
😘😘😘


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I understand Tip number 1 very well, hairstylists try to intimidate clients sometimes, lol. Sorry to say but some stylists usually come out like they know everything when it comes to hair, despite me knowing my hair better than anyone else. I also prefer being plaited from home. Thanks for the information. Very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol
    you are very right chipo.
    home calls are the way to go.
    you are welcome hun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog.
    You should try Resilience's Natural Hair Moisturizer For Dry Hair , 100 % natural integrantes.

    ReplyDelete